Frequently Asked Questions
What is Therapy?
Therapy is interpersonal treatment for problems in living. It involves talking with a trained professional about conditions ranging from depression and anxiety to relationship conflicts and career frustrations. Therapy provides ways to express feelings, understand patterns of thinking, gain perspective on past events and current relationships, set goals, and clarify dreams for the future. Therapy can add meaning and richness to life.
Why Should I Consider Therapy?
- You do not feel 'yourself.'
- You are having trouble functioning at work and/or home.
- You are having trouble making a life decision
- A friend or family member has expressed concern about you.
- You have difficulty establishing or maintaining realtionships.
- You are more easily irritated by your spouse or children.
This list is not exhaustive but rather suggestive of reasons people begin and benefit from therapy.
What can I expect from appointments?
Sessions are typically 45-50 minutes long. Weekly sessions promote the most therapeutic effectiveness initially. Evening and weekend appointments may be available. Appointments must be canceled with at least 48 hours of notice (excluding weekends and holidays) or full session fee will be expected.
What fees are associated?
The first session fee is $145: subsequent sessions are $125. Most insurance is accepted. Cash or checks only.
What are substance abuse ASSESSMENTS?
Individual substance abuse assessments are typically 60-90 minutes in length. A thorough biopsychosocial assessment is completed with a focus on use of drugs and/or alcohol. Depending on purpose of assessment, a SASSI-4 (statistically significant measurement tool) may be administered to provide additional information and validation to assessment.
What issues does your practice address?
- Relationship Issues
- Alcohol and drug use (self/family)
- Family counseling
- Anger Management
- Life Transitions such as divorce, birth of a child, job difficulties, retirement, 'empty nest syndrome'
- Stress Management
- DOT Assessments